Friday, February 4, 2011

I would name this "Number Four" but I was advised to break the habit

It's a Friday. YYESSS! Finally, finally. I've got to say, Fridays are my favorite days. I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the whole thing. It's the weekend, so there's no pressure to do all your homework at once. Well, unless you're in Honors English 11 and your teacher assigns you to do online work constructively until, oh, let's say, February 9th when this hypothetical situation would be due.

I'm in the library. I'm going to stop announcing that I'm here every time I'm blogging, because I think y'all get the idea. I just never get online at home. Well, I do, I just get on at school significantly more. I can see you and your sophomore English class in the next room. They're all excited to be there, I can tell.

So, I've decided to English teacher it up for my career. I have been having a really hard time trying to find a career that I wouldn't hate. My mom was all, "GO INTO MEDICAL AND BE A RADIOLOGIST." I've been hearing that song and dance for the longest time. Not even kidding, years. I do enjoy the pay I'd be receiving, but that's the only thing about it that I'd like. I have a strong dislike for sick people, broken bones, and pregnant people. I hate the thought of going into work everyday to take pictures of people's insides, and for what? So I can hand over the pictures to a real doctor to decide how to fix the patient? I already know I'd hate being the assistant. Any kind of assistant would annoy me. Nursing, radiology, secretary. If I'm going to do the job, I'd like the credit. If I'm going to be getting and paying for the education then I want to be the title and the person the people thank for fixing them.

I was going to be an interpreter. The pay is good, the hours are flexible, and you make a difference. But, you have to be completely anonymous and invisible. You are in the middle of everyone's personal conversations and not allowed to have a say, really. I'd like to have it as a hobby job or something, but not a lively-hood.

So, with all that in mind, I have had nothing to look forward too after high school. I wanted to be a cop as a kid, but my mom crushed that dream fast. Same with architect. "Too much danger in both, dear." She actually was the one to say no to translating, but I, out of spite, pressed on with it. Now I have to actually choose the career to support myself for life, and that's even more scary then my mother's disapproval.

All through school my teachers have told me be a teacher, and half the time I am a teacher. Mr. Civics Teacher once made me teach his class- improvisation was needed. And now, because I'm ASL 2 in ASL 1 class, I'm a regular sub for her. I'd like to think I do well, so this is an option I'm probably most definitely taking. I think there's so many cool things I could do in English in particular that would be difficult in other subjects; like computer conveniences, lots of projects, and certain kinds of thinking involved. Abstract and always changing. It's not all just, "read this and write a report for Monday."

I'll be looking into further education and scholarships this weekend.



1 comment:

  1. Excellent choice. Teaching is considerably tougher than it looks, but it's worth it. I'm happy to talk more about this choice with you.

    ReplyDelete