Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2:06 And Still Not Finished

Today is going slowly again. I noticed that The Friend With A Clue likes to have the old "Dell" keyboard too. It's the loud one, and makes the average speed-typist sound super fast and smart. She likes to sound intellectual; we all do. The group of kids next to me keep goofing off and wrestling. This makes Mrs. Librarian mad. I feel terrible, even though it wasn't me who was doing the deed. Association is great.

Oh we had that lovely assembly today about not using the term "retarded" derogatorily. I'm glad I never took up that habit. It always made me awkward when someone used it. It was a defining moment when one day a friend had said "oh that's so retarded" when we were all around.  A Different Friend pulled out a photo of her (autistic?) family member and said in a firm, but not mean, tone "I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from using the term 'retarded' around me." She's never said retarded again. I'm pretty sure that's the day I started to look up to her and be more like her as I got older in high school. I know I'd never have that much courage and self-assurance to interrupt a conversation for something I believed so strongly in because I'd just shrivel up, mid-sentence, and everyone would forget I was even talking. Or people would think I'm stupid and just continue with their conversation.

Oh. My. Lawd. So in Algebra III we had a test. Just a normal test. I knew the subject; graphing equations. I do well at that too. Every warm up we do in class, I get done early and correctly. So the test lands in front of me, and for the first time this year, I freeze. I completely forgot everything I knew about math. The problem that gave me the most trouble was y= -(x+3)(squared)+ 4

Right? Not that bad. This was number two out of three problems. It's in vertex form. Guess what I forgot? HOW TO FIND THE VERTEX. IT'S RIGHT THERE. I COMPLETELY FORGOT. I SPENT SO LONG. The points are literally in the problem, all but you're supposed to negate "k."

So the answer should have been (-3, 4), and for some reason I ran with like, (0.25, 8.75). Mr. Math Teacher doesn't even like decimals. I should have known better. See? I can do it now. NOW. Then, right before the silence took over the room for test taking, my pencil broke. So I used my pen. So when I dun goofed I had to scribble out everything and make a tiny graph in the corner. God. I'll be lucky if I even pass.

2 comments:

  1. I know this feeling, Bre. I hate it when I freeze on a test, which happens often.

    ReplyDelete